The Monkey’s Paw Writing

The Monkey’s Paw starts off by describing the character’s anticipation by the visit during a storm. The author uses foreshadowing to contribute to the overall meaning by describing the weather and the darkness before the visitor comes home. At the beginning of the story, the bad weather and wind are discussed, especially during the chess match. I think bad weather in a story means something bad might happen. The characters are aware of the bad weather. Mrs. White says, “That’s the worst of living so far out,” bawled Mr. White, with sudden and unlooked-for violence; “of all the beastly, slushy, out-of-the-way places to live in, this is the worst. Pathway’s a bog, and the road’s a torrent.  I think strange noises also indicate that something bad could happen. At the end of the story, there is loud knocking and other noises, like bolts sliding. Towards the end, I had thought that something bad was happening behind the door. The father “heard the creaking of the bolt as it came slowly back, and at the same moment he found the monkey’s paw, and frantically breathed his third and last wish.” Nobody likes to hear knocking at their door late at night. Next time somebody shows up at your house you haven’t seen in 20 years and they give you some simple advice, don’t ignore it.

One Reply to “The Monkey’s Paw Writing”

1. Hi Therese, it’s Ms. Greene. I just love your post about The Monkey’s Paw! It shows how you thought through the events in the story and cared enough to write them down. Just warms my little English heart. Hope you’re having fun with your blog. Looks like you still need to delete some widgets on the side you aren’t using and also need to add a School Writing and My Personal Writing Pages. Happy Blogging!